Kia ora koutou,
We have had a very settled, focused first week of term. It has been really good to see that having a good break has helped a lot, with many stories from people about time away in various parts of the country, and fun activities out and about around Wellington. Students and staff all seem refreshed and raring to go for the busy term ahead.
We have a number of property projects in the works around the school, making good use of the School Investment Package money that many schools, including Amebsury, were given to use by the end of next year.
- Our new fitness trail will be installed in the coming week - very exciting!
- We are installing two sets of seating / storage to go on either side of the chessboard play matting in the central courtyard. This seating will store our large chess pieces, making it much easier and quicker for students to access the chess set during break times.
- We have contracted a company to complete work on widening the entrance into our school driveway, making it easier and safer for vehicles to enter and exit the school. This work is most likely to happen in the next school holidays. We do not want to complete it during term time because it will involve closing off the entrance into the school.
- We have a design for a fabulous sandpit installation. The design allows for the pit to be fully closed and locked when not in use, making it safe and hygienic. When closed over, it will form a nice raised wooden platform, which can be used for presentations, small performances and seating. When open, it provides a large, clear area for digging and creating, which will hopefully save areas of our bike track from architectural installations!
- Work will be completed on the automatic windows in all learning spaces, making them easier and quicker to use on a manual basis.
These projects will help to continue the journey of ensuring a healthy, enjoyable and safe environment for all children. We are very excited about these new improvements and about the school and community environment we are continuing to build.
Work is also continuing on the design of our new hub building which will be adjacent to our current Harakeke Hub building. Our architects have been working hard on confirming all of the details around the design, and work is on schedule to have our hub built next year - very exciting.
Events coming up:
Board of Trustees meeting - Wednesday 29th July 5:30 - 7:30pm in the school meeting room. Meeting agenda
Northern Zone Cross Country Competition - Friday 31st July 11:30 - 2:30pm
Term 3 Mihi Whakatau - Monday 3rd August 2:30pm Amesbury Hall
We have also added a date to the end of term calendar: our learning celebration has been confirmed for Tuesday 22nd September (last week of term) at 1:50pm. Students across the school will be holding a ‘roadshow’ of science learning, which promises to be lots of fun.
Have a lovely week and enjoy the sunshine over the next few days.
Ngā mihi nui,
Urs Cunningham (Acting Principal) and John Bunting (BoT Chairperson)