All you need to know and links to essential documents for our September Synod. We have updated with information about pre-synod meetings. Please remember to complete the catering form by 25 August and let us know by 10 August if you want to receive a hard copy of the Synod book (we are going electronic this year...)
Pre-Synod Archdeaconry meetings for all Lay and Clergy reps:
- Dunedin Archdeaconry - Thursday 27 August at 7.30pm at St Johns Roslyn.
- Central Otago Archdeacony - Tuesday 25 August at St Andrew’s in Cromwell, 10 am-2pm.
- Southland Archdeconry Meeting - Saturday 5 September, 9.30 am at Holy Trinity Invercargill (after prayer breakfast).
- Oamaru-East Otago Archdeaconry meeting - Saturday 29 August at 2 pm at 1A Howden Street Green Island or via zoom. This meeting will also be available to any other Synod reps who are not able to make meetings in their own areas in person.
11-13 September 2020: First Session of the 61st Synod
There is a possibility that we may not be able to meet in person if we move from Level 1 to any other COVID-19 Alert Levels. The Diocesan Council has in place a mechanism for holding Synod electronically by Zoom if required. We will proceed on the basis of Business as usual unless we are directed otherwise.
Synod will convene on Friday 11 September at 7.00 pm with the Synod Eucharist at St Matthew's Church, Dunedin. (Clergy are not robing for this service).
Synod will reconvene Saturday 12 September at 8.30am (St Matthew's Dunedin) and will conclude no later than midday on Sunday 13 September.
Lay representatives to Diocesan Synod are elected on a two year cycle with new representatives being elected at Parish/Local Church AGMs in 2020.
Parish and Local Church Return Forms were posted out in December 2019 and these are available electronically below.
The planned Special Synod dealing with Selwyn College has now been combined with the 1st Session of the 61st Synod held from 11-13 September 2020, The report from the Selwyn Consultation panel is available here.
Parish and Local Church Returns
Have a look in the attachments below for the Memo to Parishes about AGMs. This year all of the returns required are contained in one document: Members of Governing Bodies 2020 and Annual Returns 2019. This includes Members of Governing Bodies (Vestries) Annual Return and Declarations, Annual Statistics, Employees and Volunteers return.
Key dates to be aware of:
- Beginning of June - request for reports (for Synod book) and mail out to Synod reps (catering forms and if only require Synod book electronically, )
- 23 July - last day to submit any Bills to the Registrar (50 days before Synod)
- 24 July - last day for submission of reports for Synod book
- 30 July - Bills (and Motions printed in the Synod book) submitted to the Committee on Statutes and Standing Orders (43 days before Synod)
- 10 August - If you want a hard copy of the Synod book you must contact the Registrar before close of Business (4 pm) this day
- 14 August - Bills and Motions returned to the Registrar (28 days before Synod)
- 17 August - Synod book taken to the printers
- 20 August - Synod books and other paperwork posted out plus available on-line (so you should have in your hands 21 days before Synod)
- You have 7 days from 27 August to submit to the Bishop any further notices of motion, questions or petitions (3 September deadline). The procedures around these are covered in the Standing Orders of the Dunedin Diocesan Synod.
- 25 August - deadline for catering
Attendance - Leave of Absence
All Synod reps are expected to attend every session of Synod. If you are unable to attend one or all days, email the Bishop via his Executive Assistant, Nicola Wong with Request Synod Leave of Absence in the subject line, or phone 03 488 0826. Your Parish can nominate an alternative lay representative to attend in your place for this Synod as long as the Bishop receives notification of this 14 days before the session commences (i.e. before 27 August - see Statute 1 clause 2.5 and First Schedule clause 12)
The Synod Book - in progress, see time frames above. The Synod book will be made available electronically. If you want a hard copy to take with you to Synod, you must contact the Registrar before close of Business (4 pm) on Monday 10 August, and we will arrange printing of this for you (click on the link above line, this will generate an email with Request for Synod Book in the subject line).
Tip: if you go to the Index of the Synod book and Ctrl + click on information you want to go to, this will take you there without having to scroll through all the pages.
Catering - please see below. These need to be back in the office by Tuesday 25 August 2020
- A reminder that the Guide to Synod is useful to have a look at, especially for new Synod members.
- Also, check out the 2019 Yearbook which contains a record of the proceedings from Synod 2019.
If you have any questions please contact the Diocesan Office: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 03-488-0821