I have asked Ernie to introduce himself and his position as PSO
A number of CPPA colleagues may, or not, be aware of the support available to members this specialist role provides. Albeit covering the whole of Te Waipounamu, it is serviced from the Christchurch Office at the Trade Union Centre on Langdons Rd Papanui.
With over 500 school leaders spread over the motu, it is always busy and very rewarding. Many aspects of the role may be obvious but less so of the present incumbent.
A first-time principal in 1982, I have accumulated over 30 years’ experience in school leadership and also as president of the Nelson Branch NZEI TRR, Marlborough Principals’ Assoc serving also on the NZPF Exec for 11 years, two of those as its National President. Experience in working at both local and national levels with peak sector organisations give me a well-founded understanding and connectedness of how things might be progressed and how support best co-constructed. I have positive and valued working relationships with sector agencies and always look to resolve conflicts at the lowest level retaining the mana of all parties. Servicing and organising describe the main aspects of the role. Balancing the needs of individuals with the proactive work of liaising with groups and associations remains a constant tension. Both a critical in and reflected in the bulleted job description below. When rather than if, you get that feeling something just doesn’t feel right, don’t hesitate to make contact. Although office hours provide a guide to the working week, much like you, I remain available pretty much at all times when something hits the fan.
An NZEI Field Officer dedicated to working with principals throughout Te Waipounamu
- Provision of advice and representation - best practice in aspects of principals’ work, both professional and industrial
- Provision of support – guidance with problems or challenges, including access to other NZEI services ie Industrial Officer
- Liaison with NZEI Principal Council/Area Council Representatives – supporting and developing networks, including Reference Groups and principal leaders
- Supporting principal engagement, participation and activism in NZEI Te Riu Roa relating to national and local issues
- Provision of information to update principals on all matters of importance to their work
- Recruiting new members and maintaining contact with members in their schools
- Liaison with principal association groups, other unions, community and employer organisations
Best wishes for a successful and fulfilling Term 4 and thanks for your incredible efforts throughout a very unusual and challenging2020.
Ernie Buutveld ANZEI LMNZPF
Principal Support Officer
Mob +64 27 289 1854
0800 NZEI HELP ~ 0800 693 443