Hero photograph
 

History of Clyde Street location

Kirsty Muir —

Part One - Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions in Hamilton East

In July 1884 four Sisters from the religious order of Our Lady of the Missions arrived in Hamilton East from Napier. They rented a four room cottage at 68 Cook Street. The Cook Street rental was their first convent in Hamilton.
Prior to their arrival Mother Mary Gabriel wrote to the parish priest, Benedictine Father Fox, in March 1884 asking for specific agreements associated with their mission in Hamilton.


On 11 March 1884, Mary Gabriel wrote, “We are prepared to spend £250 from our own savings, including the £120 already spent on land.” The land consisted of 2 acres opposite the small wooden Catholic Church in Clyde Street on the grounds of what would become Sacred Heart Girls’ School.


The Sisters who arrived in Hamilton were: Reverend Mother Prioress, Mary St Germaine; Sister Mary Francis of Assisi; Sister Mary Angele; and Mother Mary of the Seven Dolours. On 11 August they opened a school with thirty boys and girls in Hibernian Hall near their Cook Street Convent. They taught the older girls French, drawing, music, plain and fancy needlework, and extras.


The Sisters were joined by Sister Mary Anastasia in September of 1884. In September, at the request of several parents they opened a select school in a cottage adjoining their Cook Street convent.


In 1884 the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions finalised their plans for a convent in Hamilton East on their Allotments. The building erected was 62 feet long and 31 feet wide and three stories.

The Waikato Times stated on 30 October 1884,

“The parish school room, reception rooms, kitchen etc. are on the ground floor, the select school and the Sisters’ cells on the first floor, while the chapel and dormitories will be on the top floor. The building was designed by Mr O’Dea who is also the builder.” 


The foundation stone was laid on 26 October 1884 on Allotment 16, on the north side of Clyde Street opposite the 1877 Catholic Church (now the site of Sacred Heart School) and east of the Presbyterian Church (now the site of the Audi Automobile Dealership). The times continued:

“There were about 400 people present, and the subscriptions came to £310 8s. 9d. which included £200 given by the Sisters, and £20 by the Bishop. This was to be the first three-storeyed building in Hamilton and the estimated cost was £1,700.”

St Mary’s Monastery was blessed on 1 March 1885 and completed on 4 June 1885. The Sisters moved from their cramped quarters to their new home on Clyde Street, St. Mary’s Monastery.

Part two coming March Clearly.