The teacher in charge of this course is Whaea Adrienne Huia.
We aim to teach students:
- to understand and communicate in basic spoken Māori
- to read and write precisely in basic Māori
- to display understanding of tīkanga Māori
- to adopt a disciplined approach to learning
- to meet intellectual challenges.
The study of Te Reo Māori also develops qualities of tolerance and cultural
sensitivity while enabling Māori students to appreciate more fully their own cultural identity and language.
The following topics may be covered:
- Ko ngā tākaro (sports)
- Ko te kai (food)
- Ko ngā mahi i te kāinga (jobs around the home)
- Ko te marae (the marae)
- Ko te pōwhiri (Māori welcomings).
The course provides excellent preparation for NCEA Level 1/Year 11 Te Reo Māori.
Although it is recommended that students have completed the Year 9 Te Reo Māori course prior to entering this course, it is possible to enter this course with no prior learning of Te Reo Māori at the discretion of the teacher in charge.
Course Costs: Please be aware that this course has associated costs. By selecting this course you will be requested to make contributions connected to its delivery.
These costs are; Language Perfect - 1 year subscription $30.00. There are stationery costs associated with this course.