Keeping up to date with recent news about our parishes, organisations and the wider church.
See our Faith Communities webpage (it may take a few moments to load)
See also the full article about the above Gospel Conversations series.
Saying sorry not enough: A day late and a dollar short. That was the phrase used by Dr Tom Doyle, a non-practising Catholic priest to describe the church’s apology, at the Royal Commission into Abuse in Care last month, to those damaged by clergy sexual abuse. (ODT editorial, 7 April 2021)
Chilling weather fails to dampen procession: More than 50 members of four Queenstown churches shrugged off rain and wind to take part in a multi-denominational Easter Walk of the Cross yesterday (ODT, 3 April 2021)
Ecumenical spirit for easter walk of the cross: As the rain began to fall, Oamaru’s church communities came together to share the traditional Easter Walk of the Cross yesterday morning. (ODT, 3 April 2021)
St Peter’s vicar retiring but not slowing down: Hugh Bowron is realistic. The 68-year-old St Peter’s Anglican Church vicar knows, just because he is retiring, it does not automatically mean he will get to sleep in on Sundays. (ODT, 3 April 2021)
National Anglican News at Taonga
Archbishops share Easter gratitude: The Archbishops of Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia have shared an Easter message of gratitude for God's love made real – especially giving thanks for all those who have worked to protect and bring healing in this year of pandemic.
Podcast tackles suicide pandemic: Manawa o Te Wheke youth enabler Mira Martin has shared her insights from years of experience promoting wellbeing for Māori youth in a ‘Sacred Teachings’ indigenous wisdom podcast for the Anglican Church of Canada.
Archbishops launch St John’s review: The Archbishops of Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia have established an independent review into the culture of the learning environment at the College of St John the Evangelist in Auckland.
In the National & International Media
(with thanks to the Diocese of Christchurch)
- Auckland churches share joint Easter message.
- Local Timaru Church Easter Dawn Service in the news.
- Passionate about Christ: An Easter message from Dave Dobbyn.
- A Canterbury Safe Driving initiative gets attention.
- An ex-Cantab speaks of the ups and downs of the last decade.
- Gen Less inspires people to live with less energy consumption and has recently put out an article pro electric cars that answers people’s worries.
- Legal case for Franklin Graham celebrates freedom of speech.
- ‘The Devil’ is taking a leaf from Christ at Easter and turning the other cheek? Read this slightly ironic great “WWJD” moment here.
Worth a look - WORLDWIDE
- Myanmar protestors use Easter egg messages
- Akld church leaders issue joint Easter message
- Pope's Easter message condemns arms build-up
- Taranaki 's Jay Ruka: a man with a mission
- RNZ's playlist of Easter hymns
- David Cohen on NZ churches & Royal Commission
- +Alexandria appoints first Dean in new province
- +Capetown blasts Covid failures in hard hit areas
- +Nigeria offers mass wedding rite for unwed couples
- +Jamaica warns church on violence against women
- US church decline: Allergic reaction to religious right?
- UK Labour leader criticised for church visit
- Wellington's iconic St Gerard's church to close
- NZ RC Bishops express shame over abuse
- Chch sisters rescue demolished Cathedral's dome
- NZ: stop turning a blind eye on Uighur abuses
- NZ Cardinal on abuse: 'we are deeply sorry'
- Sydney finalises Archbishop nominees list
- Wgtn City Mission supermarket makes strong start
- Church NGOs join Govt drive to house people
- Myanmar expats in NZ beg Kiwis for support
- ABC denies Harry, Meghan private wedding claim
- Sydney Uniting Church appoints 1st trans minister
- Germany's churches in lockdown for Easter
- Helping homeless people in Palmerston North