This week is the last opportunity to take part in our property consultation electronic survey. Everyone is welcome to take this survey.
Survey Link (see below for more information)
Why are we doing this?
The Diocesan Council has been becoming increasingly caught up in property matters but without having an agreed pathway for how to handle many situations apart from what is set out in Statute 3.
In the Synod held in 2019, the following motion was carried: That this Synod affirms the Diocesan Council intention to undergo a consultation process around the sale or other use of properties, buildings and other assets within the context of future mission within the Diocese.
Some workshops have taken place in Archdeaconry groupings. They have been open to Clergy and Lay Synod reps as well as Parish Wardens, with substitute places available to any Vestry members who have an interest or contribution to make around this property discussion. As this year has been challenging to organise physical meetings, we are also offering a survey option to help us complete the consultation.
This will help develop a strategy on how we use our property assets to advance God's kingdom.
What do I need to do to prepare?
Information that you need to read before you complete a survey is attached below or click on these links:
- Diocese of Dunedin Strategic Property Consultation Paper 2020
- Reading 1
- Reading 2
- Reading 3
- Reading 4
- Theological Reflections on Church Property
- NZ Anglican paper on Mission Aligned Investment.
Here is the Survey Link
A paper copy of the survey is attached at the bottom of this article for individuals and groups who prefer to complete it this way (look for Diocese of Dunedin Property Survey 2020-21 below)
If you have any trouble accessing or downloading any of the resources below or want a hard copy of various papers sent to you, please contact us by clicking this link, or email the Registrar with “Property Resources” in your subject line.
The survey has the following questions:
- What are the particular dynamics you have around properties entrusted to you? (see pages 2-5 of the Diocese of Dunedin Strategic Property Strategy Consultation Paper 2020)
- In your setting, what is the most important consideration when thinking about property and how it can aid your ministry in the future? (think of this in terms of where you think your Parish might be at in 10-20 years time)
- What is your take on the Strategic Property Criteria? Anything not quite right? Anything missing? (see pages 7-8 of the Diocese of Dunedin Strategic Property Strategy Consultation Paper 2020)
- If you were to rank in order of importance the suggested Strategic Property Criteria, what would this be? (individual exercise)
- What weight would you give to each criterion? (each person will be given 20 dots to "spend" as they want by placing these next to each criteria displayed in the room or entering the numbers into the survey).
After the workshops and the survey has been completed, the combined feedback will be collated and given back to Diocesan Council for consideration. We would like to have everything completed by the end of February 2020.
We hope at the end of this process to have some information that will assist the Diocesan Council and Faith Communities in their decision making around property, with the potential for motions/bills related to property to be taken to a future Synod.