The Christmas Quiz from team ExQuisite
Just a couple of rounds this time, with one point for each question. (Answers)
1. How much did Henry VIII spend on his first royal Christmas in 1509?
2. In some countries Boxing Day is better known as the feast day of which saint?
3. The traditional Wassail Bowl was filled with hot ale (or beer/cider), sugar, spices, rosemary, and what other important ingredient?
4. What date does the 8th day of Christmas fall on?
5. What’s the traditional Christmas dinner in Japan?
6. The biggest Christmas market in Germany – Christkindlesmarkt – is held in which city?
7. Russian Orthodox Christmas is held under the Julian Calendar, rather than more frequently encountered Georgian calendar. So, what date in January to they celebrate Christmas?
8. In the ‘Twelve Days of Christmas’ song, how many geese are ‘a-laying’?
9. The original Santa Claus was a St. Nicholas from the town of Myra, now located in which country?
10. Famous Christmas carol ‘Silent Night’ was composed in which country?
11. ‘A Christmas Carol’ by Charles Dickens was initially published in December of what year?
12. What is the original title of the popular Christmas poem ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas’, written by Clement Clarke Moore, and first published anonymously in 1823?
1. The ancient Roman winter solstice festival (17-23 December) was known as what?
2. What is marked on the summer solstice in the southern hemisphere (21-22 December)?
3. The Yule log, which originated in Scandinavia, was lit to honour which god?
4. The Jewish festival of Hanukkah (25 November to 26 December) is also known by what name?
5. In Oaxaca, Mexico, 23 December is known as La Nocha de Ratanos, which features nativity scenes (and more) carved into which vegetable?
6. Celebrating black culture and family, Kwanzaa runs from 26 December to 1 January. In what language does Kwanzaa mean ‘first fruits of the harvest’?
7. In Scotland, New Years’ Eve is known by what other name?
8. What date is Chinese New Year in 2021?