ExQUIZite Mysteries and Thrillers 2021
Enjoy this workout for your little grey cells.
There are 6 rounds with 5 questions each, for a total of 30 points. (Check your answers)
Order out of chaos
Can you put the following titles into publication date order? (Give yourself half a point if you get at least 2 in the correct order!)
1. Blood Grove, Six Easy Pieces, Devil in a Blue Dress, Blonde Faith (from Walter Mosley’s Easy Rawlins series)
2. Chaos, Scarpetta, Postmortem, Predator (from Patricia Cornwell’s Dr. Kay Scarpetta series)
3. The Girl who Played with Fire, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (from The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson)
4. 4:50 from Paddington, The Murder at the Vicarage, At Bertram’s Hotel, The Body in the Library (from Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple series)
5. Hannibal, Hannibal Rising, The Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon/Manhunter (from Thomas Harris’ Hannibal Lecter series)
Can you name the following pint-sized super sleuths? (Provide either the first or last name to earn your point, except for questions 1 and 4. Those need first names!)
1. The three death-dodging Baudelaire children who investigate their parent’s fiery fates in Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events
2. Two of the four brave kids tasked with stopping ‘The Emergency’ in The Mysterious Benedict Society
3. The protagonist of the Alexander McCall Smith series set in Botswana that includes The Great Cake Mystery
4. Four of the seven members of Enid Blyton’s junior detective squad, The Secret Seven
5. The protagonist of The Spy School series (the 9th of which, Spy School at Sea, came out in August)
Can you clap the irons on the odd one out from these captivating crime series?
1. Colin Dexter’s Inspector Morse: Death is Now My Neighbour, The Wench is Dead, Death on the River Cam, The Dead of Jericho, The Jewel that was Ours
2. J.D. Robb’s Eve Dallas: New York in Death, Festive in Death, Apprentice in Death, Dream in Death, Born in Death
3. Richard Castle’s Nikki Heat: Heat Wave, High Heat, Dry Heat, Frozen Heat, Deadly Heat
4. Colin Cotterill’s Dr Siri Paiboun: Anarchy and Old Dogs, Fear and Love in Laos, The Woman who Wouldn’t Die, The Rat-catcher’s Olympics, The Coroner’s Lunch
5. Vanda Symon’s Sam Shephard: Containment, The Highlanders, Overkill, Bound, The Ringmaster
Sleuths on screen
1. Robert Mitchum, Elliott Gould and Humphrey Bogart have portrayed which hard boiled detective that featured in Raymond Chandler classics like The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye?
2. The Chief Inspector Barnaby novels, written by Caroline Graham, made it to the small screen as what long-running series?
3. Which English actor portrayed the famous Belgian super sleuth Hercule Poirot?
4. The TV show Bones featured the character Dr Temperance Brennan, who first appeared in the novels of Kathy Reichs. How many seasons did the show run for?
5. Who portrayed Enola Holmes – and her older brother Sherlock – in the recent Netflix adaptation of the Enola Holmes mysteries by Nancy Springer? (Half a point for each!)
Can you fill in the blanks in these Celtic Noir classics?
1. Lying in ____ by Liz Nugent
2. All the ____ of the Town by Liam McIlvanney
3. How the ____ Speak by Val McDermid
4. A ____ for the Dark Times by Ian Rankin
5. The ____ Elm by Tana French
Heroes and villains
1. What was the name of the tenacious detective in Stephen King’s Mr. Mercedes trilogy?
2. Where Oyinkan Braithwaite’s debut novel My sister, the serial killer set?
3. Now a central figure of Sherlock Holmes canon, this character appeared in only four of Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories. Who are they?
4. What’s the name of the coin-flipping villain in Cormac McCarthy’s violent thriller No Country for Old Men?
5. Who is the author of the Detective Galileo series, which includes the highly acclaimed work translated as The Devotion of Suspect X?