The topic on everyone’s mind is the proposed draft enrolment zone for Geraldine High School and we would like to share the outcomes from Tuesday night’s public meeting. (The minutes of this meeting will be available to view through the office for anyone who is interested in learning more.)
The Ministry of Education has instructed us to implement this proposed zone in 2020 and the Board of Trustees is continuing to discuss the concerns raised by the community at the Tuesday night meeting. We welcome all feedback, comments, queries and concerns from our community which will help support our continued discussions with the Ministry as we finalise the zone boundary.
The areas of particular interest (as identified at the meeting) are:
- The ability to maintain a range of subjects across our senior school with a potentially reduced roll.
- Catering for students outside the zone who are attracted to Primary Industries Academy and Outdoor Education programmes.
- Our main feeder schools including Winchester, Pleasant Point and Mayfield being able to access our high school.
- Geographical location for many rural families and the accessibility of local high schools which can be at odds with the zone boundaries.
- Pleasant Point Primary community and the promise by the Ministry of Education at the closure of Pleasant Point High School, allowing the choice of secondary schools including Geraldine High in perpetuity.
- The exclusion of Winchester Primary (under the current proposed zone) given their inclusion in the Community of Learning (Kahui Ako).
We urge you all to submit any queries or concerns to us in writing via email email@example.com or in hard copy at the School Office by 26th April 2019.