This month, as the days grow colder, the Academy is hosting three fabulous one-off workshops. All workshops are open to both teens and adults.
1) JAZZ WORKSHOP with the CMNZ Jazz Trio Ole King . This is local musicians' chance to learn from the best! June 12th 3.30pm-5.30pm workshop and 7.30pm concert. See some information about the musicians below. As we have received some support from Creative Communities, we can offer this workshop at only $20 for the two hours!
In preparation for Matariki and Winterlights, we are offering two other workshops:
2) LANTERN MAKING with Sarah Johnston: June 10th and 24th from 1.00pm-4.00pm. The idea is to prepare as many star lanterns as possible in the month of Matariki , to be then used during the Winterlights Lantern Walk ( free community event on July 13th) and then to decorate your home.
3) MASK MAKING with Oamaru Artist Donna Demente! Donna, who owns a large gallery in the Victorian precinct, which is filled with her beautiful, colourful and fantastical art, is coming to Geraldine for two separate days to teach us how to make beautiful procession masks and face mask, to be used at the lantern walkand to brighten up your home or school. June 30th and July 7th , 10am-5pm.
Places are limited on all courses, so we encourage to you to email us as soon as possible . Email Jill Roberts on firstname.lastname@example.org for enrolments and enquiries.
INFO ON WORKSHOP TUTORS ( and Ole King Cole Trio) Workshop 3.30PM, CONCERT 7.30PM
Louis is a pianist and vocalist and can be seen performing around in Wellington's vibrant music scene. He attended the New Zealand School of Music majoring in Jazz Performance on piano.
During the past few years he has been involved with a number of ensembles performing with many of the country’s top musicians. Performing at the Wellington Jazz Club, Wellington Jazz Festival, opened 2015’s Jazz in Martinborough festival, Hawkes Bay Jazz Club, Wanganui Jazz Club & Auckland Jazz & Blues Club. Louis has also performed with NZ Jazz legend Rodger Fox, vocalist Erna Ferry, the Royal NZ Air Force Band & the Wellington City Shake-em-on-Downers to name a few.
Born and raised in small-town Motueka, Callum’s successful music career began early. His achievements include winning the “Most Outstanding Jazz Guitarist” and “Most Outstanding Musician” awards at the Southern Jam Youth Jazz Festival.
Having found an undying passion for jazz music and performance, Callum moved to Wellington and completed studies in Jazz at the NZSM. Since returning from a year in Berlin in 2014, Callum has been busy writing, performing and touring New Zealand and Australia with various jazz groups. That year he released Nerve on Rattle Records with Wellington eight-piece The Jac, which was nominated for the New Zealand Music Awards Best Jazz Album of the year. Their latest album, The Green Hour, has received praise from reviewers at RNZ, NZ Musician and The Dominion Post. The opening track, Sons of Thunder, written by Callum, won Best Jazz Composition 2016 at the national music awards.
Since relocating from Auckland to Sydney in late 2011, double bassist Tom Botting has quickly forged a path into the Australian jazz scene. His impressive abilities as a sideman and bassist have led to performances with jazz luminaries as diverse as James Muller, Roger Manins, Dale Barlow, Walter Smith III, Vince Jones, Jamie Oehlers, and The Jazzgroove Mothership Orchestra. Tom placed third in the 2015 National Jazz Awards at Wangaratta Jazz Festival and is currently a PhD candidate at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. He is making a special trip home to Aotearoa for this tour and also appearances at the Wellington Jazz Festival.
LISTEN and Watch
The trio will perform a selection of the following tunes, all have been transcribed and written for the band to perform.
- I'm a Shy Guy
- Route 66
- You're the Cream in my Coffee
- Frim Fram Sauce
- Don't let your eyes go shopping for your heart.
- Meet me at no special place
- If you can't Smile
- Too Marvellous for Words
- I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter
- Sweet Lorraine
- Naughty Angeline
- The Best Man Ain't Misbehavin'
- Honeysuckle Rose
- Little Girl
- Makin' Whoopee
- Straighten Up & Fly Right
All tunes are arrangements as performed by the Nat King Cole trio.
Duration: 100 minutes – including interval