The latest and important updates about sport during this uncertain time - Have a read to know what is happening for sport on a Local, Regional and National scale.
Grey High New Gym - OPEN
The new gym is OPEN at interval and lunchtime for ALL students of GHS.
There is equipment available to borrow at break times if you didn't bring your own (basketballs, rugby balls, footballs).
Be kind, respect the space and each other to ensure the gyms can stay open - as a team we can make it a fun space for all!
NOTE: There is NO after hours hire of the school gyms at this stage, this includes for GHS teams and other clubs or groups who used the spaces.
GHS Boxing Centre
- The NEW Boxing Centre is up and running located upstairs in the new gym.
- Open interval and lunchtime, everyone welcome!
- Schedule to be published by the end of the week, certain days for different year groups etc. keep an eye on the daily notices for the schedule.
- There will be before and after school sessions available soon.
- NOTE: MUST bring a change of clothes to use boxing bags, water ONLY allowed upstairs.
If you would like to know more information please contact:
- Mr Bermingham (email@example.com)
- Mr Haigh (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Local Sport Competitions
The local associations, just like you, are waiting on the announcement from the Government on the 25th May for if there will be changes to gathering sizes. Once this is known National Sport Organisations (NSOs) will put out guidelines along with Sport NZ for local associations to follow. This will take time to ensure all hygiene and safety measures are in place including guidelines from facility providers before training and competition can resume.
Please be patient and wait for further instruction, we understand this is a frustrating time but we are limited to what the NSOs, Sport NZ and the Government impose on sporting codes.
Sport at Alert Level 2 - Sport NZ Guidelines
These are excellent and simple instructions from Sport NZ to follow for Alert Level 2, please have a read to further your own understanding.
Winter Tournament Week
- SISS Senior and Junior Netball Tournaments
- ALL Secondary School National Football Tournaments
- ALL Secondary School Basketball WTW Tournaments
A decision on other Winter Tournament Week (WTW) sports is hoping to be decided by the end of June. Please be aware there are many factors that need to be taken into consideration if tournaments can go ahead, see below for those considerations:
- Covid-19 national (or regional) Alert Status and government restrictions on sport including travel, size of gatherings, hygiene, physical distancing, and ability to provide rapid contact tracing.
- NSOs readiness and capacity to resume play at a national level. Many NSOs have indicated the focus will be on grassroots sport (local and regional) and have cancelled most, in some cases all, events at national level.
- Ability for NSOs and schools to complete qualification processes for national events.
- Lead-in time required by schools (funding, travel, accommodation) and event organisers (venue hire, funding, volunteers).
- Comments made by the Minister regarding the possibility of changes to 2020 holiday/term dates.
- NSOs plan to extend community winter sport to create a viable grassroots community season overlapping WTW and placing pressure on officials, volunteers, hosts and venues.
- Likely school focus on core business (curriculum / academic) given the significant disruption.
- Appetite of parents, teachers (as coaches/managers), and principals for students to travel outside their region, use airports and stay in communal accommodation.
- Financial pressure on families, schools, and communities in sending students to national tournaments following economic downturn (household income levels, job losses)
- Absence of Class 4 Trust funding to support travel and accommodation for schools and event costs for NSOs (unlikely to be available before October) and additional loss of event sponsorship.
- Availability of volunteers for WTW events given many will have used annual leave during disruption and significant proportion of volunteers in the vulnerable age bracket.
- Availability / affordability of air travel.
If you have any questions regarding sport please contact:
Maddy Crawford, Sports Coordinator
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 03 768 0472 ext. 839
- Office Hours: Mon - Fri 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Office: Located in the New Gym