Hero photograph
Photo by Pam Hunt

Further Study ....

Pam Hunt —

After studying at Hillmorton High School, there is a range of further study options available.

Careers Guidance Programme

All students receive career guidance at Hillmorton High School. In the senior school this includes meeting with tertiary provider staff, visits to tertiary providers, and support with tertiary institute applications both around New Zealand and internationally as appropriate.

Tertiary Education

Tertiary Education in New Zealand covers universities, polytechnics and private training establishments (PTEs).

Christchurch Tertiary Education

Here in Christchurch we have two universities ranked in the top 2% in the world: University of Canterbury and Lincoln University. We also have Ara Institute of Canterbury, along with some private tertiary providers.

Study in Christchurch provides an overview of potential study options.


Students are able to work part-time while studying at the tertiary level.

Post-study Work Visa

Students with acceptable tertiary-level qualifications completed in New Zealand can apply for a Post-study Work Visa to work in New Zealand.

Studying further Abroad

National Certificate of Education (NCEA) is New Zealand's national school-leaver qualification.

It is used for selection by universities both in New Zealand and internationally.