The Vintage was first registered in Dunedin on 25 May 1927, and after restoration was again registered 60 years later on 11 June 1987.
The restoration coincided perfectly with the Centenary of Hope and Sons Ltd, in 1987. The Vintage has been in active service since that time and is still in regular use.
The Vintage is available for our all client families for use at funerals.
The Vintage was purchased by Hope and Sons on 10 October 1979. The previous owner was in the process of beginning the restoration of The Vintage. He had the basic framework but no body work. Hope and Sons had The Vintage trucked to Dunedin.
After investigating suitable companies to restore The Vintage, we found Vintage Car Restorations in Ashburton. They were commissioned to undertake restoration work.
The Vintage was there for 3 years, during which time we visited several times. Unfortunately the company went broke, and the late Sandy Long of North End Motors, Dunedin, towed it back to Dunedin.
The 1926 Chrysler “60” was imported from Canada as a hearse.
The upholstery in the cab had been completed by an Ashburton man, and the motor was in good order. Kevin Carter finished off the electrical work, Clements and Stephens did the finishing off on the body work, then it was delivered to Pat Moore, the auto painter, who completed the black paintwork.
It was then taken to Mosgiel, where the floor and the lining inside in back were restored and the oak deck was installed. The rollers and fittings came from the Lindsay family, who used to be the funeral director in Queenstown.