Alcohol information for parents ahead of school ball
This is also why the Police like to have an involvement at School Balls and to be aware of any after Ball Parties.
We want our Young people to remember this special time, to have fun and to be safe.
If any parents are looking at having after Ball parties there are important responsibilities they need to be aware off and some helpful tips.
- Have responsible adults there helping you supervise the party – perhaps even let your neighbours know.
- Let the Police know so we can do the odd drive-by just to check that all is going well.
- To avoid unwanted guests talk to your young person about who you are happy to have attend and greet guests when they arrive.
- You cannot supply alcohol to someone under the age of 18 years unless you are the legal guardian or you have the expressed consent of their guardian and the alcohol is supplied in a responsible manner. There is a fine of up to $2,000 but there is even greater consequences if a young person is given alcohol without parent consent and not supervised.
- Please provide lots of food and non-alcoholic drinks.
- Supervise the young people – it is your responsibility to supervise the consumption of alcohol and their behaviour.
- Ensure there is safe transport options for the young people to get home. Remember that drivers under the age of 20 are not allowed to consume any alcohol.
- And have fun, enjoy this time hanging out with your young person and their friends.