Kua Tae Te Wā update
After months of negotiations with the Ministry of Education, and more talks since the strike on August 15, we still have no new offer.
Our union, NZEI Te Riu Roa, continues to negotiate in good faith, but the Government says it will take time to fix the issues.
However, time is the one thing we don’t have. Around the country we’re seeing:
- 40% reduction in teacher trainees
- Zero applicants for some teaching jobs
- More children entering school
- More children with additional learning and behavioural needs
- Teachers are burning out and leaving the profession, often within a few years of graduating
The staff at our school want your children to have the very best education we can provide. We’re standing firm in that commitment and believe the time is now to ensure that schools can offer every child the education and support they need, and that we have a sustainable teaching profession into the future.
Our children can't wait. We won't wait.
We appreciate your support. Please talk to your child’s teacher if you have any questions, and consider signing this petition to the Minister of Education in support of teachers. https://campaigns.nzei.org.nz/time/petition-teachers-and-principals/