by Kristen Ferguson

Speech and Language Therapists

Speech-language therapists assess and treat people who have problems with verbal communication or swallowing. This may include difficulties with speech, language, listening, reading, or writing.

Schools have access to a Speech-Language Therapist from the Ministry of Education. If a child is seen as having difficulties with speech, language, or communication, then a referral can be made by the school for more support. Our SLT caseworker is Kirsten Rooney.

Speech-language therapists may do some or all of the following:

  • assess and diagnose communication problems such as stuttering
  • co-ordinate and plan treatments
  • help clients learn to speak, listen, read or write
  • lead group therapy sessions
  • help children and adults learn to swallow and eat
  • report on their clients
  • educate and advise clients and their families.

Speech-language therapists need to have knowledge of:

  • English or other languages
  • how the brain, mouth, throat, and voice box function
  • medical conditions that can affect speech
  • psychology and education theory, and child development and health
  • community and family support services, and where to refer their clients.

Speech Therapy Video

What Does a Speech Therapist Do? 

The support from the Ministry is free, however, some families choose to have private Speech-Language therapy for their children for a more regular and intensive intervention. Below are some local places that offer Speech-Language Therapy.

Re-Think Children's Therapy 

Shout Speech Therapy

You can find more agencies on this website if you're interested. 

If you would like the school to have a closer look at your child's speech, language, or communication, please get in touch with Kristen Ferguson (