The Youth Jazz Festival is to be held on Friday 19th August and Saturday 20th August.
Our fabulous jazz band and our jazz combo are both well into rehearsals in preparation for the 2022 Dunedin Youth Jazz Festival.
- 19th August = Competition at Otago Boys’ High School
- 20th August = Workshop and Showcase Concert at Hanover Hall
The committee is pleased to announce that they have secured the services of Gwyn Reynolds (Head of the Musical Arts Programme at ARA in Christchurch) and other tutors from the Christchurch Jazz School to adjudicate the competition, hold a workshop and perform in the showcase concert. Changes have been made to the format and programme this year.
This year, the event will be structured in the following way:
- A Small Combo competition from 1:00pm – 3:00pm on Friday, August 19th at Otago Boys' High School. This part of the competition will not be open to the public (school students can attend though). There will be three slots for small combos in the showcase concert on Saturday night at Hanover Hall on Saturday, 20th August.
To enter the Small Combo competition, all players must be available to perform in the Saturday concert.
- A Big Band competition from 4:00pm – 6:30pm on Friday, 19th August at Otogo Boys' High School. This part of the competition will be open to the public and will be both a competition and a concert that parents/caregivers and the public can attend.
There will be no performance slots for Big Bands in the showcase concert.
- A workshop on Saturday 20th August from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm will include: Big Band workshop with the Dunedin Youth Jazz Orchestra. 1:30pm – 3:00 pm: Improvisation workshop with tutors from the Christchurch Jazz School (Ara) for all interested players.
- A Showcase Concert at Hanover Hall on Saturday 20th August at 7:30 pm featuring: three of the small combos from the competition and the group ‘Tiger Moth’ featuring Gwyn Reynolds and some of the top jazz musicians from Christchurch.