Trades Academy courses Want to try something different, but still want to stay at school? Trades Academy lets you enjoy both worlds. Your week will be made up of three days at school, and two days at Trades Academy studying one of the courses outlined below. All credits work towards you achieving NCEA Level 2, with the benefit of learning industry related skills and knowledge. You can study courses at the WelTec (Petone) or Whitireia (Porirua) campus’, including a new campus in Wellington. Transport will be arranged for students to get to Petone and Wellington. If you are interested in one of these courses, you must fill out an additional application form. See your Dean for assistance with this.
2020 Trades Academy Programmes
- Engines - Level 2, Approx 45 Credits Manufacturing and Technology This programme provides knowledge and practice of working safely in the motor industry. Gain practical hands-on skills and knowledge in disassembly, reassembly and tuning of engines, vehicle servicing, brake bleeding and wheel balancing. Learn to use an electrical multimeter to test basic automotive electrical systems.
- Hospitality Services - Level 2, Approx 43 Credits, Services Industries Gain insights into the hospitality and tourism industry. Learn the art of making a good coffee and cooking skills that can be used in a café environment. You’ll learn about customer service and health and safety for the industry. Gain hands-on experience in the on-site training café, practice what you learn on real customers.
- Trades Skills – Level 2, Approx 45 Credits (+ 3 Level 1 credits), Construction and Infrastructure This programme will provide you with an insight into the building, plumbing and infrastructure industries. Gain practical hands-on experience while learning about the Health and Safety requirements of each trade.
- Health studies – This is a one day a week course (Thursday) which has a Health Science focus with pathways into further study in Level 4 Foundation Health Science prior to moving into Nursing, Paramedicine, carework etc. or alternatively into further study in Social Sciences.
- Hospitality - Level 2, approx 43 credits (Hospitality and tourism) This course focuses more broadly on the hospitality and tourism industries. You will also get hands on experience with barista and front of house training.
- Animal Care - Level 2, 43 Credits, Primary Industries Learn to look after animals in this introductory course and get an insight into working in the animal care industry. You’ll study animal anatomy and physiology and how to keep animals in hygienic conditions. Handle and care for a range of small animals from birds to reptiles, rabbits to fish, cats and dogs. After doing this course, you can go on to further study in this field.
- Creative Technology – Level 2, 46 Credits (Delivered at WelTec's Wellington Campus), Creative Industries Begin your career in the creative industry. You’ll learn fundamental design skills required of creative designers. You will also learn how to use creative industry software and hardware and complete projects using creative technology tools. The course is very hands-on and you will gain the necessary skills and develop a portfolio to help you progress further in this industry.