We are again offering students from year 5 - 8 in 2019 an opportunity to be part of the School Sports Academy. The Academy Aims to:
- Help enhance students’ sporting ability in their chosen sports and with general skills;
- Align Maungaraki School's school values with sporting excellence;
- Continue building Maungaraki School’s reputation as a great sporting school and celebrate the successes of our students; and
- Develop students into sporting leaders within the school to benefit all students.
This year the academy has been involved with running sports at lunchtimes, assisting the Kowhai team with their physical education lessons, participated in sporting sessions internally as well as with outside organisations, and has had the opportunity to hear from successful sportspeople including Jordan Kahu from the Brisbane Broncos, and Lara Andrews from the New Zealand White Sox.
The Academy will be limited to 30 students for 2019. During the year students will be involved in discussions and activities focusing on their own sporting skills, values in sport, the SportStart programme, and being leaders in sport and the school. There will be high expectations of all participants, not only sporting, but academically and socially, and the successful academy students must be role models for other students.
Current Year 4 to 7 students, who wish to be considered for a place in the Academy for 2019, will be required to submit a letter expressing their interest, including why they would like to be a part of the academy and what they could offer the academy and school. We also encourage students to detail their sports interests and achievements.
All applications will be considered by the School Leadership Team, Mr Cowman and Miss Pollard against the following criteria:
- Letter of application
- Sports achievements whilst representing school
- How the students live the school values; and
- Learning and Class behaviour (the students current teacher may be asked to share their view).
Applications must be submitted to Mr Cowman by Monday 10th December. If there are more than 30 applicants, we may conduct short conversations with interested students about their application. All students will be advised of the outcome of their application early in Term 1 2018.