Are You Ready To Take On The Reading Challenge?
Maungaraki School is fundraising for our hard court area and we need your help. Over the month of June, students will be asked to get sponsorship for their reading. They will be completing reading tasks, reading at least 20 times before the 30th of June as part of the challenge.
We are asking students to read with friends, buddies and adults as they read a wide variety of new and interesting texts.
We greatly appreciate the support we receive from our wonderful community. To add some extra incentive, the class that raises the most money, per student, will win a class party, plus some amazing individual prizes will be up for grabs!
There are two options for sponsorship, either a set donation or an amount per challenge that students can complete. The sponsorship can be completed either online or as a paper copy.
The purpose for holding the Reading Challenge is:
· To continue to celebrate reading at school by participating in a number of fun reading experiences.
· To give children added motivation to continue reading over the time in which our Library is out of action.
· To raise money for our Hard Surfaces area.
The Maungaraki School Reading Challenge will consist of two parts:
Part A – SPECIAL SCHOOL ACTIVITIES:
Starting next week the children will be engaged in various reading activities such as:
· Teacher class swaps each day to read stories.
· Visits from Lower Hutt Public Librarians to talk about holiday programmes, membership and reading.
· Local role models visiting the school to read stories to groups.
· School library books will be rotating through classrooms in special boxes around the school.
· A book character dress up day in Week 10.
Part B – THE READING CHALLENGE:
For the Reading Challenge we would like children to gain sponsorship to see how much time they can read over the four week period. The reading challenge will be based on the amount of time that children spend reading.
Children can read by themselves, read to someone, read with someone, or someone can read to the child. The aim is to make the Reading Challenge an enjoyable experience for all involved.
The reading challenge will begin on 5th June and will continue until 30th June. Sponsorship forms and the ‘Reading Challenge Tracking Sheet’ will be sent home so children can begin to find sponsors.
Children can also gain sponsorship using ‘Everyday Hero’. Please see the attached page for details around online sponsorship.
Each child has been given a copy of these details along with the sponsorship sheet, however copies are attached if you require them.