Welcome back to another term in School House.
The boys have returned from their holidays ready for another term. Term three is a big term, with the requirements of NCEA starting to bite, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, with the weather starting to warm up and the Christmas holidays just around the corner. For the senior students there is now only 13 weeks of school before they go on study leave. The boys need to make the most of these weeks, as they will go quickly!
The school's Open Week is next week. The local schools Year 8 boys come to Otago Boys' for a mornings activity and go up to the hostel at 11.30am for morning tea. Different schools come on different days. It will be a busy week for the kitchen with over 200 boys coming during the week!
This weekend is of course an in-weekend with an inter-house basketball competition on Saturday night and tug of war on Sunday. Hawthorne and Nicholson will need to perform if they are to catch run away leaders Campbell and Thomson.
As indicated in term one, we have a School House ski trip to Queenstown this term on the 21st-23rd September. All boys are welcome to attend, parents are also invited. It will be a real highlight of the year. I will send out more information about this in the next couple of weeks.
Some important dates for the rest of the year are:
· Open Night Wednesday 1 August at 6pm. School is closing early that day at 1pm.
· Inter house quiz night Thursday 9th August (Mitchell Cup).
· Queenstown Ski Trip 21st-23rd September.
· Last day of term 28 September – Hostel parent interviews.
· Skippers Feast – Wednesday 31 October (more info to come).
· Senior Prizegiving (at the Regent) – Thursday 1 November 7pm.
· Y8 Orientation and Hostel Sleepover – Friday 7 December.
· Junior Prizegiving (at school) – Thursday 13 December 10.30am.
Jack Light competed in the Oceania Archery championships, held in New Caledonia, as part of a 33-strong New Zealand team during the school holidays. There were 91 competitors from seven countries at the event. Jack placed second in the match play and first in the WA1440 event. This is a tremendous achievement as Jack took on the best from Oceania in the intermediate category when he is only a junior. Well done Jack!
I wish everyone a safe and enjoyable term.
'For all your harvesting & forestry needs' - call Tim Smith 027 587 3665