Otago Boys' High School Hostel Stock Drive Update
This has been a challenging exercise, involving a great deal of time, however in conjunction with the Ministry of Education, we can move ahead with confidence to begin work on the redevelopment.
Thank you for being part of the Stock Drive to assist in raising funds for the redevelopment. This significant project will drive the hostel strategy, which is to create and maintain the best opportunities for boys from country areas to benefit from an Otago Boys’ education. Many of you have already donated stock for which we are extremely grateful, while there are a number of you who expressed support for the project initially and now that we have been given the green light, will want to make a donation.
As a member of the redevelopment committee, I would like to report the following:
1. The fund-raising committee, with the support of Old Boys and friends of both the hostel and the school, are on a campaign to raise $2.5 million to restore the hostel to its rightful status.
2. As you are aware an old Boy, who is passionate about assisting with the hostel redevelopment, has purchased the property on the top side of the hostel, and has leased this to the school. His incredible support will open up wonderful opportunities for the boys.
3. The property incorporates a five-bedroom house, which has become the home of the Director of Boarding and his family. There is also a large area of land associated with the property, and now that the consent has been granted, this area will be developed for parking at peak times, as well as for a new entrance to the hostel.
4. The fund-raising committee are extremely grateful for the significant donation from the OBHS Foundation, as well as money raised by the Old Boys at their Golf Tournaments.
5. The first stages of the redevelopment will be to level and seal the section in front of the Director of Boarding’s house, provide an attractive new entrance, and redesign the old entrance, which in total will cost around $850,000. In addition, we want to purchase the property from our generous Old Boy as soon as we are able, as well as complete some overdue maintenance within the hostel itself.
6. This Stock Drive will not be the only fund-raising effort, as we have a number of other initiatives where we can raise funds to reach our target.
7. The fund-raising committee of Richard Hall (Rector), Russell Marsh (Parent & Old Boy), Grant McLauchlan, (Parent & Old Boy) and Des Smith (former Hostel Manager & Deputy Rector) have been working on this total project for some time with the break through being the consent from the Dunedin City Council to move ahead with the car park and the new entrance.
Message from the Rector
“It’s about momentum.”
As members of the OBHS community, we invite you to be part of our evolution, as we move from good to great.
Our mission: to provide a dynamic, diverse, learning environment that is ’Best for Boys’, through tradition, innovation, culture and excellence that is rooted in School House, the hostel. For Hostel boys to embody what is good about young men. They are engaged, active, humorous and willing to learn. They also need clear boundaries, strong role modelling and bountiful opportunities to thrive.
Your donation, targeted at the Hostel’s carpark and entrance project, recently approved by the city council, will be a step in the overall plan to develop Melrose Street to ensure we have the best environment.
If you would like a pack sent to you so you are able to make a donation to the stock drive, please contact me, of which contact details can be found below.
If you have any questions on the Stock Drive please contact:
Roger Landels – Email: email@example.com Cell: 027 232 7911
For all other information please contact:
Des Smith – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Cell: 021 736 116
Thank you again for your support.
Des Smith MNZM