by Distance Learning


Important information regarding changes of course, contact details, etc.

All general queries relating to administration of Distance Learning Programmes (e.g. enrolment, examinations, withdrawal from papers, changes of course, changes of address) should be made to AskOtago

Web AskOtago
Tel 0800 80 80 98 (freephone within New Zealand) or
Tel 64 3 479 7000 (International)

All course-specific queries (e.g., relating to dispatch of course materials, course content and difficulties, assignment grading, receipt, return, extensions etc.) should be made to your course administrator.

Making Changes

(i) Contact details

If your contact details change, it is very important that the University is informed as soon as possible. This can be done either by entering the changes yourself via your eVision student portal or by contacting AskOtago. This prevents your returned assignments, course materials, and other information going to the wrong place. Changes of location may also affect your examination venue.

(ii) Change of name

If you change your name during your course of study, documentary evidence of the change should be supplied to AskOtago. (This could be a certified (witnessed/notarised) copy of a marriage, civil union, or deed poll certificate, a statutory declaration certified by a Justice of the Peace or, if reverting to a maiden name, a certified copy of a birth certificate or of dissolution of marriage or civil union certificate).

This is necessary only if you wish the University to use your new surname in its dealings with you. If this is not important to you, no documentation is needed.

(iii) Course of study – adding, deleting, or withdrawing from papers

To ensure that we understand your intentions correctly, every request to make changes to your course must be made in writing no later than 5pm on the last day for making such changes, either via:

University of Otago
PO Box 56
Dunedin 9054

If you wish to add, delete, or swap papers, you should do so by completing the Change of Course process. See the 'changing your course' section of Learning and teaching for details. Please check Key Dates for the relevant deadlines as fees refunds are date-dependent.

Requests by telephone will not be processed. Your full name, University of Otago ID Number, and the subject code and number for each paper affected must be included in a written request.

Exemptions, Credits, and Course Variations

Applications for exemptions, credits and variation of the regulations for any paper or part of a course should be made at the time of your initial application for enrolment if possible. These should be discussed in advance with your course coordinator.

Students who gain external qualifications during the year and then wish to apply for a credit, exemption, or variation may submit a request later in the year.

In all cases, students should notify the University as early in the teaching year as possible of their intention to apply for credit, exemption or variation of the regulations so that consideration of applications occurs without delay.

University of Otago Academic Transcripts and Statements

Academic Transcripts are available by registering on My eQuals. My eQuals gives students and graduates secure access to their academic records online. There is a one-off fee of $30 that needs to be paid before the transcript can be viewed or shared.

For more details click here.

Students enrolled prior to October 2017 will be able to request that a transcript is uploaded to My eQuals, via their eVision portal using the link located under My Programmes and Papers.

Statements of Current enrolment status and finalist status, or Completed qualifications are available in your eVision portal under My Programmes and Papers. A statement is an official letter from the University confirming details of your enrolment or qualifications.