Who to contact for help
Student IT Advisors provide computer help for students both on campus and online for distance students.
Tel 64 3 479 5170
Hours (during semesters) Monday - Friday 8:30am - 9:00pm
Saturday - Sunday 9:00am - 9:00pm
Changing your Password
You can change your password at www.otago.ac.nz/password otherwise Student IT can do it
for you. You will be asked to provide your:
- full name, including your middle name
- date of birth
- student ID number if known
- student username if known
- home address during semester
- last year of enrolment at the University of Otago
- contact telephone number
AskOtago can also assist with enquiries about computing/IT issues that you may experience when accessing University of Otago services via the internet. You need to contact them for eVision and Blackboard problems.
Tel Freephone (NZ only) 0800 80 80 98 or 64 3 479 7000 (International)
Hours Monday to Friday 8.30am – 7pm during semesters
eVision, Student Webmail, Blackboard & Endnote
For information about these subjects, see
As a student at the University of Otago, you can get this software for your personal computer for free or at a discounted price. These licences are only valid while you are a current student.
- Microsoft Office 365 – download and use free of charge by clicking here.
- Sophos Antivirus – protect your Mac or Windows computer for free, dowload from here.
- Endnote – manage bibliographies and references; one-off cost of $25 which includes any upgrades. Follow this link.
- NVivo – qualitative data analysis tool available to postgraduate students only; around $120 - Follow this link.
- SPSS – statistical software package; yearly licence fee, see order page for costs.
See the software webpage for more information.
Responsible computer use
Access to university systems comes with certain responsibilities and obligations. Responsible use ensures the rights of others to privacy, the observance of intellectual property rights and individuals’ rights to be free of intimidation, harassment, and unwarranted annoyance.