We will be hosting another parent session on Structured Literacy at PPS for all interested parents on Friday 9th June at 2.00pm in Pīwakawaka. This session will help explain how we teach reading and spelling in the junior school and also 'The Code' (spelling) in the senior school. This is great for all new parents to our school and also for those wanting some tips on how you can best support your child at home with their literacy learning.
There will be plenty of opportunity to ask questions in person, hear about the science of reading, explore some of the resources that we use and get ideas on how you can help your child at home.
To add to this, Learning Matters (who we use to support our Professional Development) have developed this range of really useful videos and resources for parents (just click on this link) to help support your child at home, which we highly recommend. This is an amazing resource. These videos include:
- Phonological awareness activities - hearing and manipulating sounds
- Understanding the correspondence of letters and sounds
- Letter formation and handwriting
- Spelling rules
- Irregular words and how we learn them
- Learning about syllable and how words work
- Activities to support reading words accurately and fluently.
- Decodable books and how to use them
- Advice on supporting older struggling readers
We hope to see you on the 9th June. Please email email@example.com to register your interest to help us with planning for this event.