Finding your place in our school
By emphasising the key values of commitment, honesty, respect and excellence the school ultimately promotes a caring, supportive learning culture focused on progress and achievement.
The Riccarton Way is about:
- showing a positive attitude
- having high expectations of our staff and students
- taking pride in our work
- being confident to take risks
- showing a desire to improve
- achieving to the best of our ability
- getting involved
- taking advantage of opportunities.
It is about how we treat others:
- acknowledging cultural differences
- being tolerant of differences
- accepting community responsibility
- treating others with courtesy
- respecting other people’s property
- caring for others
- being aware of bullying and helping to stop it.
We pride ourselves in encouraging and celebrating behaviour that reflects this spirit every day throughout the year.
We are one – we share and live our values – he whānau kotahe tatou.
PASTORAL AND LEARNING SUPPORT
All students are placed in one of four whāre where they are supported by a Kaiarataki (Head of House) who works alongside a Kaitiaki (Dean of House) and a group of whānau teachers.
Students will be connected to their allocated whāre throughout their time at Riccarton High School.
Help is also available from the Guidance Counsellors, Learning Support Coordinator and Careers Advisor. We have a reputation for a strong school spirit and sense of community.
We work to provide the best possible learning pathways for our students within an inclusive family/whānau atmosphere.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS
All our teachers maintain ongoing professional learning in working with students who are English language learners.
Specialist ESOL teachers work with students who need extra support to improve their skills in reading, writing and speaking in English so that they can be well-prepared for their studies across the curriculum.
Programmes are flexible and target students at their level of need.
Students in the senior school can enter for NCEA assessment in most of our ESOL courses.