At Roncalli College we do not allow the use of energy drinks.
Some young people enjoy energy drinks due to their targeted youth marketing, variety of flavours and instant energy spike. There are however many problems associated with these beverages.
Energy drinks are addictive (due to high sugar and caffeine content) and have detrimental short and long effects on the body.
in September 2019 Countdown supermarkets banned the sale of Energy Drinks to all those who are under 16 years of age.
Problems associated with using energy drinks include but are not limited to:
- Mood inconsistency
- Behavior problems
- Sleep deprivation/fatigue
- Increased heart rate/heart palpation's
- Toxins and chemicals entering the body
- Strain on internal organs
- Dental decay
- Weight gain
- Skin problems
If young people want to have increased levels of energy it is suggested that they:
- Get plenty of sleep
- Drink water throughout the day
- Eat a nutritious, balance diet
- Exercise regularly