It is time to elect five parent representatives to join the Roncalli Board of Trustees
During my 13 years as Principal at Roncalli College, I have been well supported by a very good Board of Trustees.
While there have been several changes in board personnel over that time, the leadership and commitment has remained strong and constant.
Now it is time to elect some new members to join the Roncalli Board of Trustees and I am urging members of our community to consider putting themselves forward or perhaps nominate someone they think would be suitable.
Why be a member of a Board?
- Boards are entrusted by the community to ensure the success of schools and all students through effective governance. A good Board is crucial and Board members can make a difference.
Who can be a member of a Board?
- It takes all kinds of people to comprise a good school Board. Our BOT needs people including parent representatives, proprietor representatives, people with some financial skills, people with some legal/HR skills, people with some educational background, but most importantly, people who are interested and want to make a difference. I find that sometimes people are reluctant to put themselves forward because they don’t think they have the necessary skill set. The most valuable skills board members can bring to the board table are having the ability to work well as part of a team; not being afraid to ask challenging questions; having good communication skills and being connected to your community. We need you!
How much of a commitment is it to be on a BoT?
- It’s not a huge commitment. Full Boards meet one evening per month for about two hours and each BoT member is generally part of a subcommittee that meets as required.
- There is also some initial training so that BOT members understand their role and responsibilities.
How do I become a BoT member?
- You will have been sent a nomination form, you can nominate yourself or another parent may nominate you. If you require another nomination form, please contact Rose in the office. Nominations must be received by next Wednesday 3 August by midday. Your nomination may be accompanied by a 400 word statement about yourself.
If you are interested or thing you know somebody who may be, please consider joining our Board.
For further information please contact:
Board Chair - Kelly O'Driscoll, Cell 0272 334 334, Principal - Chris Comeau, email@example.com, 03 688 6003 or Returning Officer - Rose Struthers, firstname.lastname@example.org, Cell 027 214 0264
Learn more about the role of school boards
Our Community Member Guide to the Role of School Boards provides information on what
school boards are, the role of members, and how to become a board member.