Guide to SBHS Sport for all Students, Managers, Coaches and Parents/Supporters
THE AIM OF THE FAIR PLAY CHARTER OF NEW ZEALAND IS:
- To make sport enjoyable and rewarding.
- To compete to the best of our ability with enthusiasm and fairness.
- To respect the rules which govern the game and play by those rules on all
- To accept and respect the role of the official always and to abide by decisions they make.
- To respect the mana of our opponents and their supporters.
- To value the spirit of sportsmanship and to accept victory and loss with
- equal dignity.
THEREFORE A SHIRLEY BOYS’ HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER WILL:
- Play the game competitively, to win within both the spirit and the letter of
- the rules.
- Accept and conform to all rulings by game officials.
- Refrain from any conduct that in the opinion of the game officials render
- a player unfit to continue to play the game.
- Be supportive of team members and officials.
- Wear your school uniforms and colours correctly and with pride. Wear appropriate team uniform at all times. This includes during trainings, games and when travelling
- Behave in an acceptable manner in accordance with this Charter.
- Abide by the school’s rules and values at all times.
- Attend all meetings, practices, games and other activities as required on time and train and play to the best of their ability.
- Notify the coach/manager of any unavailability at least one week prior to the playing date.
- Remain committed to the team, coach, and team manager for the duration of the season and work equally hard for the team and themselves.
- Play with sportsmanship, respect their coach, team, opponents, officials and supporters.
- Care for and respect the equipment and facilities.
- Disclose to the best of their knowledge any medical or physical disabilities likely to prove detrimental to others or their own well-being during the season.
- Pay, in full, by the required date, all associated sports fees.
- Maintain 80% attendance across the year.
AT SHIRLEY BOYS’ HIGH SCHOOL IT IS EXPECTED THAT A COACH WILL:
- Be a role model so as to inspire confidence.
- Be reasonable in their demands on players.
- Enhance and encourage the skill and performance of their team.
- Praise and encourage good performance.
- Be respectful of their team and the oppositions ability as players.
- Be firm and fair.
- Encourage adherence to this Charter.
AT SHIRLEY BOYS’ HIGH SCHOOL IT IS EXPECTED THAT A MANAGER WILL:
- Be a role model as to inspire confidence.
- Be responsible for the sound management and well-being of their team.
- Encourage the wearing of team uniforms correctly at all times.
- Be supportive of Players, Officials and Supporters.
- Encourage adherence to this Charter.
Every coach or manager involved with Spartans Sport will be required to sign an agreement and agree to be police vetted.
AT SHIRLEY BOYS’ HIGH SCHOOL IT IS EXPECTED THAT A PARENT WILL:
- Be a positive role model for their child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches and officials regardless of the game’s outcome.
- Demand that children follow the rules and treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect.
- Respect the policies and decisions made by the coach or school.
- Recognise and value the importance of volunteer coaches who give their time and resources to provide recreational activities and opportunities for students.
- Let the coach do their job and refrain from distracting players by telling them what to do.
- Remain outside the field of play, away from coaches, and within the designated spectators’ area (where provided).
- Respect officials' decisions and teach young people to do the same. Issues to be raised through the appropriate channels and not by questioning the official’s judgment and honesty in public.
- Emphasise skill development and practice by encouraging continued effort.
- Go through the TIC or Sports Office to deal with any issues.
Failure to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines may be subject to the following disciplinary action:
- Verbal warning by a designated official
- Written warning
- Removal of the parent/caregiver's child from sport and trespassed from SBHS/Other sporting grounds (Red flagged).