Code of Conduct
Information sheet for Players and Parents/Caregivers
This has important information that your parents/caregivers would like to know. Please ensure it is read!
Transport for all sports ultimately falls on the shoulders of parents to get their children to and from sports venues. Students with their own vehicles are not to take passengers in their car without written permission of the parents or caregivers of both the driver and the passengers concerned. “On some occasions, your child will be required to travel in a school van or in a private vehicle to various events. (It is school’s requirement that any vehicle used for transporting students must be registered, appropriately insured and have a current WOF, the drivers must have their full driver’s license and must sign an assurance that these requirements have been and will be met).”
The school provides each player with a uniform. It is the student’s responsibility to look after their uniform for the season and return clean uniforms at the end of the season. A replacement cost will be imposed for any unreturned or damaged uniforms. Please take care with laundering your uniform - washing it in a laundry bag is recommended and will protect the fabric.
COACHES & MANAGERS
We will endeavor to find coaches and managers for every team, for younger teams this may be a senior student coach. If you are willing to help out as a coach, manager or “taxi” please let me know.
Players are required to sign code of conduct and return to the Student Office by the end of Week 1, and player agreements and are expected to follow through on their commitments and communicate clearly and early if there are any changes of plans for legitimate reasons. Please find attached player and parent/caregiver agreements to be signed and returned. Once committed to a sport players will be liable for cost if they decide to pull out.
¨ Full payment by cash or cheque made out to Shirley Boys’ High School. Pay at Student Office OR
¨ Full payment by direct credit to bank account 03-0855-0333927-01. Please include your son’s first initial, surname and the word ‘[Sport] subs’ OR
¨ By instalments by cash or cheque to the Student Office or direct credit to the above bank account.
The school operate a 'no pay no play' policy. All sport fees are required to be paid by week 3 of the season. If you would like to arrange a payment plan or apply for dispensation and/or hardship funding please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before the due date of payment.
Code Of Conduct For Players
Students representing the school in sports are encouraged to strive for excellence in presentation, preparation and performance so that the team and the individual can become the best they can be.
SHIRLEY BOYS’ HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS:
- Abide by the school’s rules and values at all times (this includes when in class, not just on the sports field).
- Always play by the rules.
- Respect the policies and decisions of the coach.
- Attend all meetings, practices, games and other activities as required on time and train and play to the best of their ability.
- Notify the coach/manager of any unavailability at least one week prior to the playing date.
- Remain committed to the team, coach, and team manager for the duration of the season and work equally hard for the team and themselves.
- Play with sportsmanship, respect their coach, team, opponents, officials and supporters.
- Wear appropriate team uniform at all times. This includes during trainings, games and when travelling.
- Care for and respect the equipment and facilities.
- Disclose to the best of their knowledge any medical or physical disabilities likely to prove detrimental to others or their own well-being during the season.
- Pay, in full, by the required date, all associated sports fees.
- Maintain 80% attendance across the year.
- All participants must satisfy the requirements of Code of Conduct for Players.
- Coach/manager has the authority to deal with, using reasonable means, players who are deemed to have committed a minor breach of their roles and responsibilities.
- Any major breach or inappropriate behaviour that occurs outside the school or causes harm to another individual falls outside the coaches/managers jurisdiction and the school will be notified of the offence.
- If the player continually breaches the Code of Conduct for Players or commits an offence that falls outside the coach/manager jurisdiction the coach, will:
- Approach the offending student to resolve the issue and inform the player that the behaviour is inappropriate and that the school will be notified of the incident.
- In the case of the offence occurring during a competition, the student’s parents can be notified and requested to come and remove the student from the competition. In the case a parent cannot be contacted the student may be sent home at the expense of the parent.
- The Sports Office will be notified of the incident.
- The Sports Office along with the Head of Sport will deal with the incident accordingly.
- In the case of the offence occurring within class, the MIC of the sport can stand the student down from representing the school through their sport. The HoS will be notified of this.
Please consider carefully before making your decision to join a sport. When you join a team you are expected to be fully committed to that team, attending all meetings, practices and games. Students who do not follow these rules will be withdrawn from the team and their future participation with sport at Shirley Boys’ High School may be compromised.
Likewise, if you withdraw from a team you will not be permitted to play sport, in any code, for Shirley Boys’ High School that season.
Code Of Conduct For Parents
Code of Conduct for Parents, Spectators and Supporters:
Parents are the most influential role models in their children’s lives. Expected behavior is to:
- Be a positive role model for their child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches and officials regardless of the game’s outcome.
- Demand that children follow the rules and treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect.
- Respect the policies and decisions made by the coach or school.
- Recognise and value the importance of volunteer coaches who give their time and resources to provide recreational activities and opportunities for students.
- Let the coach do their job and refrain from distracting players by telling them what to do.
- Remain outside the field of play, away from coaches, and within the designated spectators’ area (where provided).
- Respect officials' decisions and teach young people to do the same. Issues to be raised through the appropriate channels and not by questioning the official’s judgment and honesty in public.
- Emphasise skill development and practice by encouraging continued effort.
- Go through the TIC or Sports Office to deal with any issues.
Failure to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines may be subject to the following disciplinary action:
- Verbal warning by a designated official
- Written warning
- Removal of the parent/caregiver's child from sport and trespassed from SBHS/Other sporting grounds (Red flagged).
SBHS is committed to promoting and supporting student participation in sport. The purpose of the Player and Parent Code of Conducts is to ensure that students (together with their parents, caregivers and supporters) are fully informed as to the requirements of participation in sporting activities at Shirley Boys’ High School.
By signing the agreement, the student and parent/ caregiver are agreeing:
- To abide by the Code of Conduct for Players and Parents/Caregivers.
- To pay all sports specific fees associated with the student's participation in a particular sport or have made payment arrangements with the school.
- To pay all costs associated with the student's selection for a sporting tournament.
- Parents and caregivers are expected to pay sports fees in full prior to the season commencing. If a student is unable to meet their sports commitment and needs to pull out within the first two weeks of the season a partial refund will be offered.
The school operates a 'no pay no play' policy. All sport fees are required to be paid before competitions start. If the fees are for a Sports Trip/Tournament it will need to be paid before they leave unless prior arrangements have been made. If you would like to arrange a payment plan or apply for dispensation and/or hardship funding please contact Sandra Wolland – email@example.com before this date.
2020 STUDENT AND PARENT AGREEMENT FORM
Student Name: ____________________________________________________________
Registering for: ____________________________________________________________
I have read the Code of Conduct for Players, accept the conditions, and agree to be committed to the chosen sport activities.
Parent / Guardian Permission
I have read the Code of Conduct for Parents/Caregivers, accept the conditions, and give permission for my son/daughter to take part in the sport activities he/she chooses and agree to pay any sport fees incurred or will make payment arrangements with the school prior to the due date.
If your child has any medical conditions/ailment which the school should know about with regard to the trip, please list these here. Any such details will be treated with the strictest confidence.