Songstress Venessa Joyce gains excellent results
On Saturday 2 October, Venessa Joyce (Year 11) competed in the vocal section of the Te Awamutu Competitions Society of Performing Arts at the St John's Anglican Church.
With several vocal categories to compete in, Venessa achieved some outstanding results including:
- Placing first equal in the recital class, where competitors had to perform two songs within a 10-minute timeframe. Venessa sang 'Du bist die Ruh' and 'As when the Dove Laments her Love.' The joint winners shared the Otorohanga Music Society Cup.
- She won first place for 'The Last Rose of Summer' performance in the folk/traditional category, also winning the Beverley Pullon Cup.
- First place for 'How Beautiful are the Feet' in the sacred solo category, scoring 95%. She also took home the Ngaire Davidson Cup.
- In the Leider section, Venessa sang 'An die Nachtigall,' scoring 95%. She placed first and took home the Nobes Cup.
- In the light entertainment section, Venessa sang 'The Sun Whose Rays are all Ablaze,' with a score of 95% and won the Marie Managh Memorial Cup.
- She placed second singing 'Loves Philosophy' in the 20th Century art song category, with a score of 90%.
- In her own choice of song, Venessa sang 'The Ships of Arcady,' placing second, with a score of 93%.
- She was also awarded an 'overall first' scholarship, based on the aggregate points for the competition.