As educators (you!) there are a few tips we can employ to make sure our children grow to be confident and capable mathematicians.
- Never praise children by telling them they are “smart.”
- Never share stories of math failure or even dislike.
- Always praise mistakes and say that you are really pleased that your child is making them.
- Encourage children to work on problems that are challenging for them, so that they can make mistakes.
- When you help your children, do not lead them through work step by step, as this takes away important learning opportunities for them.
- Encourage drawing whenever you can
- Encourage students to make sense of math at all times.
Encourage students to think flexibly about numbers.
- Never time children or encourage faster work.
- When children answer questions and get them wrong, try and find the logic in their answers
- Give children math puzzles
- Play games