Hero photograph
Photo by pixabay.com

Does your child/ren require glasses?


If your child/ren requires glasses you may be eligible for a subsidy through Waikaha, The Ministry for Disabled People

A child or young person who is 15 years of age or under can get the spectacle subsidy, if:

  • the parent/guardian or child has a valid community services card, or
  • the child has a current high use health card.

There are also clinical guidelines your child will need to meet. Your optometrist or ophthalmologist will discuss these guidelines with you during your appointment.

If your child does not meet the clinical guidelines, your optometrist or ophthalmologist may apply to

Enable New Zealand for a review of your child’s circumstances. Enable New Zealand manages the children’s spectacle subsidy on behalf of the Ministry of Health.