Hero photograph
Trapshooting - STAC 2016
Photo by TBHS

STAC Exchange - close results the order of the day


A number of close results dominated the annual winter sports exchange between Timaru Boys’ and St Andrew’s from Christchurch. There were two draws and a number of close matches both in Timaru and Christchurch.

The Junior Football bucked the trend of close matches with an 8-0 win. The TBHS team dominated a STAC team that is doing very well in the Christchurch Schools’ League. Lucas Wood scored four goals in a game that was dominated by the TBHS side. The second half opened up with some very nice possession based football. Timaru were unlucky not to win the game in double figures after hitting the post a number of times throughout the game. Henry Baxter and Bailey Chambers both had excellent games in their respective positions.

The 1st XI Football won 6-0 with Harrison Marr scoring a hat trick. Other scorers were Matt Rayward, Ross Godwin and Cam Anderson. The team led 5-0 at the break and showed dominance in possession.

The 2nd XI Football took some time to settle in to what was a scrappy first half of their match against the STAC Under 17 side. The game started to flow in the latter stages with TBHS unlucky not to score with the STAC goalkeeper making some excellent saves. Angus Munro was very solid in the midfield distributing some quality passes to his forwards. Zach Boraman captained his side well and led by example at the back. The final result was a nil all draw.

The 2nd XV Rugby, despite struggling for players due to injury dominated their opposition with a good all round solid effort from the team. Stand out players on the day were Caleb Nicholson, Olly Wright, Taine Gibson, Mac Edwards and Michael Russell. Axel Jenkins justified his late inclusion with a well taken try. Final score 31-14 to Timaru.

The Under 16 Rugby team fought well the whole game but ultimately fell short at the final hurdle as they went down 26-20 after the score see sawed throughout the game. Harry Bampton was a stand out in the forwards along with Will Pudney with one try and Nick Sole, Hamish Schmack and Hayden McNulty, two tries, were the top performers in the backline.

The Colts played themselves back into form with a hard fought 24-15 win. Tries to Damien Hondelink, Marshall Bell, James Davidson with two and Jimmy Robertson with two conversions took the team to a convincing result.

The TBHS Under 14A Rugby team showed plenty of enthusiasm and courage against a bigger opposition. The final score was 31-28 to St Andrew’s but the home side led for most of the game only to let in a try in the last few minutes to see the game taken away from them. Timaru Boys’ looked to move the ball throughout the game and this was helped by the consistent ball retention of both forwards and backs. The tries that were scored came from team work, good passing and players running hard to break tackles. Jack Powell, Jack Sands, Jake Mason and Darian Dysart scored the tries. Connor Crotty and Jack Powell kicked the conversions.

There was accurate shooting in the Trapshooting with the win going in the end to St Andrew’s by 406 – 368. The best shooters for Timaru were Isaac Beattie and Jacob Keil both with a score of 80.

The 1st XI Hockey lost 9-1 as they struggled against a quality opposition. Reagan Stevenson was the only goal scorer as they came up against a very fast, polished team. TBHS had good periods throughout but let too many goals in in quick succession.

The 2nd XI Hockey team played well as they converted two of only a few chances as they fought out a 2-2 draw against a well drilled defensive based opposition    

Larry Yeung was the player of the day for the Timaru Badminton team as they struggled against a quality St Andrew’s team. St Andrew’s took out the tie 9-0.

The Senior Basketball team lost 95-47 while the Juniors showed up their senior colleagues with a well fought 78-39 win.

The Chess team was outplayed as they went down 3-0.

Overall the Exchange went to St Andrew’s 7-6 with 2 draws. A close result for a hard fought tie.