On Sunday 28 April from 12-3pm at Woodhaugh Gardens to coincide with the Town Belt Traverse is a family event and sausage sizzle showcasing fun ways to get involved in conservation with activities from Department of Conservation and community groups.
The sausage sizzle is being provided by the Dunedin Amenities Society.
Toyota Kiwi Guardians - A map with challenges to get children exploring the natural space will be given out. Once children complete the challenges at each of these community groups the most colourful Tahu Mackenzie from Orokonui Ecosanctuary will hand out the flyers that will enable children to go to www.wilddunedin.nz website and enter details to receive a Wild Dunedin Kiwi Guardian medal in the post.
We thank all the community groups involved in the expo:
- Town Belt Kaitiaki - encouraging children to contribute to the creation of a bug motel that will stay in Woodhaugh Gardens
- PekaPeka Bird Feeders - designers Tahu and Harvey will show what makes their bird feeder so safe for native birds and talk about feeding native birds in your home garden.
- Peripatus Schools - Cynthia from Catchments Otago will focus on bug habitats and will encourage children to search for bugs including the mysterious and unique peripatus.
- Keep Dunedin Beautiful - Alison will focus on recycling and rubbish sorting
- Lead the Way - Margie is the dog advocate and will talk to dog owners from the Traverse about becoming wildlife certified. They will also have Sandy the sea lion there to aid advocacy. Dogs can be left here for parking up while owners enjoy the expo.
- Toitu - Sara will oversee 'Actors in the Park' - secondary school students will dress in historic clothing offering tales and fun facts about old Dunedin
- Otago Regional Council - Shayde will look after 'Only Drain Rain' where people can learn how their actions can impact on water quality
- Dunedin City Council - Jun's stall will survey Town Belt perspectives
- One Billion Trees - Paul Pope's stall is advertising the project
- Wild Dunedin and Presbyterian Support - Find our Volunteers pushing a supermarket trolley filled up with net vegetable and fruit bags to giveaway - making a change everytime you shop!