Lindisfarne College exchange

Once again students competed against Hasting's Lindisfarne College in an annual sporting exchange whihc took place from 10 - 12 February


After losing the toss and being put into bat, St Paul's 1st XI were on the back foot from the outset, losing consecutive wickets. However, Will Potter was able to make short work of the Lindisfarne bowling attack, making a very composed 45. St Paul's were bowled out for 137.

Lindisfarne came out firing and declared after 80 overs on 291. The pick of the bowlers was Campbell Robb who picked up three wickets for 59 runs. George Ott was outstanding in the field, getting three catches, including one off his own bowling.

St Paul's were on the back foot, being 154 runs behind halfway through the second session on the second day - needing a draw to maintain the Duff Trophy. The boys fought hard to reach 319/8, behind Ollie O’Meeghan 30, and a solid 82 run partnership between Declan O'Sullivan and Jack Collins. However, Jack Collins was able to steady the ship notching up 135 off 257 balls, allowing St Paul's to make it to 319/8 at the end of day three and retain the Duff Trophy.


First innings – St Paul’s Colts XI batted first on a hot day. The top order went to work trying to put Lindisfarne under pressure. Logan Orsler got going, scoring 67 with support from the other end from Michael Robinson (32). George McNeil (35) and Hunter Doull managed to push our score to 200/5. In reply, Lindisfarne College Colts started off losing their opening batsman, but fought back into the match, scoring 176/8 off their 60 overs. Wickets were shared with Ben Urlich 2/41, Murray Myburgh 2/37 and Michael Robinson 2/11.

Second innings – In our second time at bat, we pushed the run rate trying to set a high target, scoring 105/5 off 15 overs. St Paul’s were not able to penetrate Lindisfarne’s batting line up, with the match ending in a draw.


St Paul’s won the toss and elected to bat. Tom Glenn and Laurence I’Anson took charge with the bat, setting the tone. We lost Tom early. However, we were able to maintain the intent with Laurence scoring 45 and Neelay Mistry picking up 55 off 76. We lost the momentum of the game, but it was restored by the power hitting of Toby Robb, scoring 72 off 69 balls, hitting 13 boundaries. Caleb Weck (35) and Hunter Singh (30) were able to finish the innings off with a team total of 318 for nine. In reply, we bowled with control, preventing Lindisfarne from any opportunity to score easy runs. We knocked Lindisfarne over for 124/10. We decided to have another crack with the bat, putting on an extra 93 runs from 10 overs. Lindisfarne needed to score 288 for victory. Lindisfarne came out with a survive attitude which is always tough to execute. We managed to take the 10 wickets required for the match with only four overs remaining. Laurence I’Anson was the pick of the bowlers, taking four wickets for four runs. We bowled Lindisfarne College out for only 42 runs. We caught extremely well and our boys should be very happy with how everyone was able to contribute to such a great win.


The temperature on the courts on Monday, 11 February in the tennis exchange with Lindisfarne College was close to 40 degrees, but our players fought for every point. In the junior doubles, Fergus Williams and Ashton Robinson were defeated, as were Fred Phillips and Harrison Gower, in three tough sets. Hayden Fladgate and Ollie Storey won their match comfortably.

In the junior singles, Ashton Robinson, Hayden Fladgate and Fred Phillips had excellent wins. Fergus, Harrison and Ollie had losses. The overall junior result was a narrow loss – five matches to four.

The senior team was dominant however, against a number of representative players from Lindisfarne. Although Simon Han and Carlin Vollebregt went down in their doubles match, Nic Kyon with Stark Sun and Matthew Forward with Nathan Ingham had tiebreak wins.

Simon Han was the only player to be defeated in the singles. Carlin, Stark and Matthew won in three torrid sets, while Nic and Nathan only needed two sets to win.

This gave the seniors a seven matches to two victory and an overall victory to St Paul’s of eleven matches to six.